Home NEWS World Amazon Studio chief suspended after sexual harassment allegations amid Weinstein scandals – National

Amazon Studio chief suspended after sexual harassment allegations amid Weinstein scandals – National

7 min read
0
6

Sponsored links

Amazon said the head of Amazon Studios is on leave following allegations of sexual harassment.

In a statement Thursday, Amazon says Roy Price’s leave of absence is effective immediately. The decision came hours after The Hollywood Reporter published a producer’s detailed claims of harassment by Price.

Producer Isa Hackett alleged that Price propositioned her in 2015 using crudely suggestive language.


READ MORE:
Harvey Weinstein speaks out on sexual harassment accusations: ‘We all make mistakes’





Hackett is the daughter of author Philip K. Dick and a producer of Amazon’s “Man in the High Castle,” based on his work.

Christopher Tricarico, an attorney for Hackett, confirmed the trade paper’s report. In an email, he said Hackett doesn’t intend to pursue legal action against Amazon or Price.

Hackett’s allegations follow multiple complaints of sexual harassment and assault lodged against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.

WATCH: The legal ramifications of the Weinstein sex assault allegations





In its statement, Amazon says it’s reviewing options for projects it has with the Weinstein company.

Actress Rose McGowan also accused the head of Amazon Studios of ignoring her accusations against Weinstein.

“I told the head of your studio that HW raped me,” said McGowan in tweets directed to Amazon chief Jeff Bezos. “Over and Over I said it. He said it hadn’t been proven. I said I was the proof.”

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” Weinstein’s representative Sallie Hofmeister said Thursday.

In subsequent tweets, McGowan appeared to suggest that Amazon Studios, which is overseen by Price, previously dropped a project penned by McGowan after she insisted Weinstein not be involved.

McGowan’s accusations emerged after she had been suspended from Twitter earlier in the day.

Considering McGowan’s stature as a central figure in the Weinstein saga, Twitter sparked an outcry across social media when it temporarily suspended McGowan from its service. The ban was lifted Thursday afternoon but not before a storm of criticism from Jessica Chastain, Anthony Bourdain and many others.

Twitter said Thursday that it suspended McGowan’s account because she tweeted a private phone number, a practice it said violated its service terms. The company said it will “be clearer about these policies and decisions in the future.”


READ MORE:
What to do when confronted with workplace sexual harassment

McGowan last year said that she had been raped by a “studio head.” The New Yorker expose that ran Tuesday reported that Weinstein had allegedly sexually assaulted three women, though the third woman was unnamed. The New York Times earlier reported that Weinstein paid a financial settlement of $100,000 to McGowan in 1997 over an incident in a hotel room at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah.

The Summit County Sheriff’s Office, which shares a records system with Park City Police, had no reports or calls involving Weinstein or McGowan in the past 30 years, sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Andrew Wright said.

The Times reported Weinstein’s settlement with McGowan included provisions about speaking about the case in the future.

But McGowan appeared emboldened Thursday to describe more outright her past experience with Weinstein. Shortly before a series a tweets addressed to Bezos, McGowan tweeted a woman warrior picture with a “Rosearmy” hashtag and stated “It’s on.”

Ongoing coverage of Hollywood’s Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault accusations 


The 44-year-old McGowan has emerged as one of the most vocal in Hollywood about sexual abuse and harassment in the industry. She has pushed for the remaining board members of The Weinstein Co. to resign in the wake of the allegations against Weinstein.



Sponsored links
Source link

Load More Related Articles
Load More In World
Comments are closed.

Check Also

Polls open as Slovenian president runs for his second mandate

LJUBLJANA (Reuters) – Polls opened in the Slovenian presidential election on Sunday …