Menudo Trademark Dispute Resolved, Latin Boyband Planning Comeback & 40th Anniversary Concert

5 min read
0
20

Sponsored links

Ownership over the group’s name was transferred in 2016 with the intent to relaunch the franchise, but those plans were held up over two years of litigation.

Pending litigation has been resolved in a trademark dispute over the famous Puerto Rican boy band Menudo‘s name, with the United States District Court in Miami deciding the mark “Menudo” belongs solely to Menudo International, LLC. 

The South Florida-based Menudo International, LLC acquired the Menudo trademark in May 2016 with plans to relaunch the franchise, which spans back to 1977 and was a starting point for Ricky Martin and Robi “Draco” Rosa in the mid-1980s. Now, after last month resolving a two-year legal dispute involving former band member Didier Hernandez and others with a $40,000 settlement — according to court documents — reps say the band and brand will be making a comeback after nearly a decade of inactivity.

Oscar Llord, former president of Sony Latin and We R 1 Music group CEO will be working with the company as its chief operations officer. He said in statement, “There has never been a better time for Latin music, and the Menudo brand and formula has the potential to dominate the very lucrative pre-teen space.”

After achieving worldwide success in the 1980s, through various lineup changes Menudo took a break in 1997 when the rights to the name Menudo were sold and the band’s active members changed their group’s name to MDO. In 2007, Menudo was revived with the MTV Tr3s reality television shows Road to Menudo and Making Menudo. That version of the band called it quits in 2009. 

Menudo International, LLC manager Paul Tarnopol said in a statement he “was gratified the matter is conclusively resolved and he looks forward to working with Oscar Llord in bringing to market the next generation of young Menudos.” He also teased “various television projects” in the works and a 40th anniversary concert featuring former Menudo stars, set to take place Nov. 17 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

“Combining a blue-chip brand like Menudo with today’s digital marketing capabilities is a no-brainer,” added Menudo International, LLC CEO Paul Tarnopol. “Our global strategy to discover a new generation of Menudos is going to create a lot of excitement throughout music, television and social media.” 

Menudo International, LLC was represented in litigation by Richard Wolfe of Wolfe Law Miami PA and by trademark counsel, Ralph Cathcart. Hernandez and his fellow defendant Christina Braun were represented by Edmar Amaya of Edam Law PLLC.



Sponsored links
Source link

Load More Related Articles
Load More In Music
Comments are closed.

Check Also

Wiz Khalifa Releases Psychedelic Music Video for ‘Gin & Drugs’ Feat. Problem

Wiz Khalifa takes us on a colorful trip in his new music video for “Gin & Drugs,…