New ‘realistic’ date for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury revealed by Eddie Hearn, though promoter insists there will be no talks until after Oleksandr Usyk and Deontay Wilder fights

4 min read
0
31
New ‘realistic’ date for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury revealed by Eddie Hearn, though promoter insists there will be no talks until after Oleksandr Usyk and Deontay Wilder fights


Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury is now most likely to take place in February if the fight can be made after their upcoming bouts, Eddie Hearn has told talkSPORT.

AJ’s promoter joined talkSPORT Breakfast on Tuesday morning and discussed the devastating collapse of the undisputed clash he’d been planning earlier this year.

Mark Robinson/Matchroom

Hearn promotes Joshua, who holds the WBA, IBF and WBO world titles

As is well known, Deontay Wilder’s arbitration victory forced Fury into a trilogy fight with him, now set for October 9, live on talkSPORT.

Meanwhile, AJ must make a mandatory defence against Oleksandr Usyk on September 25.

Should they both come through, the hope from fans is that the biggest fight in British boxing history can be revived.

Hearn told the talkSPORT Breakfast: “We wanted to do it in December.

Fury is the WBC heavyweight world champion

Mikey Williams/Top Rank

Fury is the WBC heavyweight world champion

“But I think with AJ fighting September 25, Fury now delayed until October, I think February is more realistic.

“They had a huge offer from Saudi Arabia to do the fight there.

“Ultimately in the fight game, which is extremely dangerous and these guys are putting themselves on the line, it is about generating as much money for the fight as possible.

“With fans back in the UK is that an option? Las Vegas? We’ll see.

“But first things first, let’s just beat Usyk, because if that doesn’t go to plan we can forget about it.”

Hearn had AJ vs Fury all-but-done for August 14 in Saudi Arabia, only for Wilder’s arbitration victory to scupper plans

Michelle Farsi/Matchroom

Hearn had AJ vs Fury all-but-done for August 14 in Saudi Arabia, only for Wilder’s arbitration victory to scupper plans

It’s clear that the frustration of the previous collapse is still in Hearn’s mind though.

The promoter has insisted that there are currently no talks over the bout and won’t be until current opponents are overcome.

Hearn later added to talkSPORT.com: “No, no talks with anyone because I don’t wanna waste my time.

“I spent six months wasting my time so let’s get these fights out of the way and let’s see what happens.”





Source link

Load More Related Articles
Load More In Sports
Comments are closed.

Check Also

David Alaba and Marko Arnautovic among Austria players to speak to furious fans after defeat to Scotland in World Cup qualifier

Losing to Scotland isn’t that bad, is it? David Alaba and Marko Arnautovic were among the …